Jaguar 5HP24 transmission. Instruction - page 1
This manual covers the procedure for repairing the complete transmission.
The repairing of this transmission is only allowed to persons with an specific training from ZF
The entire disassembly and assembly procedure is described in chronological order.
The photographs were kept general in nature so that they can be used with various applications;
they are not binding in every case.
Service Bulletines and training to announce important information and
application-specific changes that must be taken into consideration in maintenance work.
If this repair manual is given to a third party, there will be no modification service.
The Service Bulletines regulations and specifications must be followed when making repairs.
Depending on the type of damage that has occured, the repair work can be limited to that which is
necessary to repair the damage.
Here, you must observe the following:
• Seals (such as O-rings, shaft seals, gaskets and filters) must always be renewed.
• All O-rings, rectangular-section rings, and other sealing rings must always be lubricated
with white petroleum jelly before installation.
• All bearings must always be in a slightly oiled condition when installed.
• For transmissions that have been used for a large number of kilometers
(> 80,000 km), all lined clutch discs and steel discs must be replaced.
• After clutches/ brakes have been damaged, the converter, oil tubes, and oil
cooler, must be cleaned thoroughly.
• If brake F has been damaged, or if a considerable distance has been covered
(> 150,000 km), piston F must be replaced.
The following requirements should be met before the repair work is started:
• The required special tools should be available.
(The complete set of special tools is listed in Chapter 1.7)
• A suitable transmission testing rig should be available.
The required testing values can be found in the Service Bulletines.
This manual treats the automatic control unit as a complete unit, which should not be disassem-
bled without special knowledge; it should be exchanged as a complete unit.
A separate repair manual is planned for the automatic control unit.
The transmission is filled with life-time oil.
The oil does not have to be changed until it has been in use for ten years.
The transmission may only be delivered with the oil type and oil amount specified in the corre-
sponding parts list documentation (see ELCAT), otherwise there is danger of gearbox failure.
Techn. After Sales Service
After Sales Service School
Picture of the transmission